The Bank 1884
 
 
 

Originally the Winsor Snover Bank when the building first opened its doors in 1884, the two-story red brick establishment has also housed the Port Austin State Bank, the Port Austin Township Library, a bicycle repair shop, and a dentist office, among other things, before welcoming hungry diners as a restaurant in 1984. Casey and Eric Bruce purchased the business in 2017 and are the fourth restaurateurs to own the establishment.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.37.57 PM.png

The current owners are continuing the long tradition at The Bank 1884 of providing guests with such popular entrees as Austrian Prime Rib and Chicken Wellington, and providing excellent service by the well-trained waitstaff. Additionally, vegetarian entrees and eclectic specials have been added to augment the menu.

The Bank 1884 is a member of the Michigan Restaurant Association and the Greater Port Austin Area Chamber of Commerce.

From perfecting our ambiance to serving you with a smile, and everything in between– what we do here is truly a labor of love for you, Port Austin.

 
 
 

It all started when…

In 1884 Richard Winsor and Horace Snover built a sturdy, fireproof bank to serve Port Austin's burgeoning agricultural community. The two-story red brick building was the center of Winsor and Snovers leading banking, real estate, and insurance business for an entire ten years. In 1894, former Michigan governor Albert E. Sleeper purchased the building and housed in it the new Port Austin State Bank.

In the years following, the building also housed the Port Austin Township Library, a dentist office, and a bicycle repair shop. 73 years later, in 1957, the Port Austin State Bank moved to its new location a block east of the Winsor Snover Bank Building, leaving it abandoned for the succeeding 25 years. In 1982, Tony & Marilyn Berry rescued the building from it's abandonment by taking on the challenge of restoring and converting the old bank into a restaurant. The Bank 1884 Food & Spirits opened its doors on July 18th, 1984, one hundred years after Winsor and Snover first opened their doors to the same building.

 

 

Meet our Executive Chef

Chef Matthew Johnson

Chef Matthew has been featured on Fox 2 Detroit Morning News on multiple occasions and is also known for donating his time to the Michigan ProStart junior culinary competition as a judge. Competing around the eastern half of the United States, totaling over ten culinary competitions sanctioned by the ACF, Matthew has won 7 ACF Medals (Gold, Silver, and Bronze). He was also Captain of the 2006 student National team at Schoolcraft College. At Zehnder's in Frankenmuth he won 1st place for cooking with craft beer. He also earned the title of Best Chili in Royal Oak in 2011. 

Cooking for over 18 years with 15 of them in management, and supervising up to 20 employees with 5 food outlets, Matthew has explored many avenues in the culinary world. Matthew grew up in Saginaw Michigan, when he was 16 years old he started working at The Farm Restaurant in Port Austin Michigan. Following his passion and mentor, Jeffery Gabriel Certified Master Chef (CMC), he went to Schoolcraft College to study culinary arts, where he was the Sous Chef for butchery. 

After culinary school Matthew went to Great Oaks Country Club in Rochester Hills. He then opened Star Lanes at Emagine Theater in Royal Oak as the Executive Chef. Having a brief stint at The Village of East Harbor in Chesterfield before taking over The Wyndgate Country Club in Rochester Hills. He became Chef at Crave in Ferndale before moving to south Florida, to work at the Hilton Palm Beach Airport. After the Hilton Matthew started working at Apeiro in Delray, a Mediterranean themed restaurant. Matthew went full circle and came back to his roots; in 2017 he became the chef of The Bank (1884) in Port Austin Michigan.